Friday, May 11, 2007

Misery and Company

What you see is not always what you get.

Misery loves company. I have been using this line for quite a while now and I realize that the meaning I used to associate with it is not what it really means.

I always thought that misery loves company in a sense that it wants others to feel miserable, too. They want someone to feel bad about something to make them feel normal and eventually accept that life really is like that.

That could be the meaning but I noticed that misery loves company still has a different meaning. Misery loves company does not necessarily mean that sorrow seeks for sorrow. It could mean the one gloomy person needs the company of others to heal the wounds. Letting the feelings run amok inside without the ability to speak out and show your real emotions is very stressful and could be fatal. That is why misery needs the company who can be all ears and sincerely, if not completely, understanding.

I guess both meanings can hold their ground. Misery loves company. But hey, so does everything else!^_^ Would you want to be happy alone?

Nah-uh. Not me.^_^

Labels: , , ,