Thursday, April 10, 2008

There's Something about Ely.

Ely Buendia is a living legacy. His songs rocked us out of the music industry's lethargy and has given us new and vivid songs of a different taste. His original band, Eraserheads, has achieved more than any other OPM band could have. The unbelievable impact they had on the society, especially the youth and music lovers, is really tangible to the point where even their lyrics are quoted and given as advice to different sorts of problems.
It's funny how deep their influence has gone. Even now, when I listen and think about their songs, I get a slight pang of pain in my chest. I say it's broken heart syndrome. Their disbandment has caused so much chaos, in me at least. Even more so when I heard he had a heart attack! He was too young to have a heart attack. Yes, I should know that sickness chooses no age. But whatever! I could not accept the fact that Ely Buendia, the musician, the rockstar had a heart attack! I wanted to go to the LivEly concert but I was too ashamed. I only had my weekly allowance to donate. Hmmm..
Of course, we're all glad that he lived to perform on stage again. He's in Pupil already when he had the attack. Anyway, I loved the songs of Pupil. It is like listening to masterpieces. The lyrics, melody, are the kinds I dig. The meaning has evolved, too. They are talking about the environment, the society. (As compared to talking about hitting the beach?.. hmm..)
That's why I was so ecstatic when I heard his voice while my friends and I were walking through the overpass in Greenhills. I was so excited I asked them to watch first before we eat! (See, I saw on TV that they were performing at the parking lot there, but I didn't catch the date. So it was only a PRET-TY GOOD coincidence that we were there that night.)
We were really having fun except for Ely. (Well, this is only based from my own observation. I don't really know the story.) Ely was performing, that he was. But he didn't look like he was having fun at all which was so sad because I thought musicians loved performing and that their passion about their profession should be obvious. But where was the fun? Where was the passion?
It sucks. For their last song, he tried asking the audience what they wanted them to play. He goes (this is not verbatim), "Anong kanta gusto niyo?"
The crowd shouts.
"Hindi ko.. ..maintindihan."
The crowd still shouts.
"Isa-isa lang..."
The crowd still shouting.
"Isa-isa lang.."
Until they decided to play Pare Ko.
I don't know what happened there but that was how he was on stage. A band member then admits they were not prepared for the gig. It was fine, really. They didn't need practice to perform lively, right?
They say Ely's a little bit cranky because he is still boxed in the Eraserheads mentality. The audience only remembers him as such. Hmm.. I wonder what's in his mind.
Oh well, his songs are still great, that can't be denied.