Sunday, January 7, 2007

To Live Without


What you see is not always what you get.



I admit I am materialistic. I want all the privileges of being way up high. I don't know what made me like this but I can't help it.

Maybe I'm making myself look so unfeeling and ungrateful for what He has given me. I am still idealistic in a shrewd sort of way. I want to help. I want to give alms to the poor. But before I do this, I have to be so filthy rich that I can afford it without having to sacrifice much and end up thinning my pockets.


I am a very ambitious person and I would do anything to achieve what I want. I control my own life. I want all the benefits of a well-made life.


Unfortunately, a well-made life is just an idea that I still can't picture. Is it being so successful? Or is it just being happily simple and simply happy?


I want my name to be remembered. I want to mark my name in history. (Yes, I know it is way out of my league. But what the heck, I can dream, too.) But with this, I have to sacrifice a few things that I don't think I could live without. Vincent van Gogh, as an example, died a very lonely man. His name was remembered and he made his mark in history. Am I willing to sacrifice my happiness?


On the other hand, can a simple lifestyle make me happy?


I know we should be contented with what we have . Everyone says it is the nobler path. Am I prepared to take it?


]Answers are yet to arrive. I am still waiting. Patiently. (I hope.)


To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.

-William Henry Channing

Labels: , ,