Thursday, October 11, 2007

-.- Desperate Housewives -.-

What you see is not always what you get.
I've been wanting to speak my piece about the very controversial Desperate Housewives slur against the Filipinos. I didn't have time, then. Now that I do, I would like to opine on the matter.

Desperate Housewives has been one of the funniest and most interesting TV series. You will never almost expect the twists and turns of the writers' plot. That is why this slur was also so unexpected, for my part at least. I didn't know that it even happened until my blockmate told me. I didn't get to watch that episode (if it were already shown here). So when she told me, I looked it up fast! And there was Susan Mayer (Teri Hatcher) citing out the lines. It was all over the news and everyone was appalled at this discrimination.

They were belittling our doctors. They were belittling the quality of education in our country! Yes, we know your Harvard and your Cornell is much more advanced than our University of the Philippines, etc. But that doesn't mean we are incompetent professionals. The Filipinos are proud of their alma mater and are very dedicated in what they do. I would not even be surprised if American doctors were outdone by Filipinos.

The scriptwriters should have been more careful about their writing. They do not know a thing about Filipinos. Maybe they have made conclusions based on something they've seen or heard in the news. But that point is moot. If they have only personally known a Filipino, they'd realize they just as smart as they are. Maybe even more. Filipinos value education. Filipinos study to get a decent job and stop the low quality of living. This strengthens our resolve to finish our studies knowing that we have trained ourselves well for our future jobs.

I have no idea what our doctors' situation there is. But with the uproar I heard, I bet DH's slur was unjustified. You should be ashamed of yourselves.

There was also this slur on the 30 Rock show about PGMA. I guess it was too witty to have been noticed. I guess it is a matter of opinions. Fashion is not dictated by Americans. We have our own culture and leave us be. You have done enough damage on us.

I can't say I will no longer watch DH and/or 30 Rock because I know I will.
There are still so much more 'action' to see with Americans and how they deal with their 'pretty' lives.