Friday, June 22, 2007

A day in June at UPM

What you see is not always what you get.


Only one analogy could be very much appropriate for the overly tiring day I had in UP Manila trying to get myself enrolled.


UP Manila Enrollment:Amazing Race


Actually, any other reality shows where contestants try to get to their destinations as fast as they can are candidates. Since it was the first show that popped in my mind that day sitting in the CAS OCS office waiting for Mam Meng Montesames to entertain us, we'd settle with that.


My enrollment yesterday would not have been that difficult if only the College of Public Health had posted their list of 'shiftees' earlier than a day before enrollment and/or late registration close. Then again, I could not complain. Being accepted is more than enough consolation for that uh, afternoon exercise.


One thing that irks me and Gelian, a friend I've known since high school whom I asked to accompany me and who stayed with me until I finished (who ran, chased and wrangled the in-charge's with me), is the apparent disorganization of the system as a whole. The colleges have no care of each other's policies. They have their own ways of going about their enrollment. This means coming to a new college gladly carrying with you all the requirements informed to you by your former college is not the end. They'd tell you your papers are incomplete and that you have to obtain these from your previous college. Tough luck! Now, you have to return there and go back to the new one again.


One thing that makes UP Manila enrollment different from Amazing Race: The fact that Amazing Race gets you somewhere different all the time. In UP Manila, you'd truly master the way of finding new and shorter routes. Not because you like discovering uncharted territories but because you HAVE to. That's a skill we, UPM students, should be proud of.


Our feet would not have ached that badly, too, if only two colleges were concerned. But since second year students are still just taking GE subjects, we have to coordinate with a third college as well! We had to go and talk and plead for them to take us in and fix our papers for us. In the end, my fate still lies on the Information Management System's hands or uh, circuits?


It would have been easier if the colleges were near each other. But no. They say UP Manila is a small campus. Yes, it is. But they are forgetting that it is divided into two - CAS or the College of Arts and Sciences are located in Padre Faura while the rest are in Pedro Gil. And yes, we had to walk all the way because of the freaking third number 8 in our plate number. (It was Thursday.)


I'm not saying I had a very crappy day. In fact, Gelian and I shared so much laughter and stories that made it a little more worth our while. I even kept on telling her while we were on the run how much calories we have been burning and how fast walking is good for our health!


I really do hope my path to PH would be smoother than my entry. Then again, all will be well when Chem18 and 18.1 slots are available. ^_^

Labels: ,