Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Me and UP

Philosophy is my new enemy.
Hmm.. They say classes elsewhere were suspended. I hope ours would, too.
*SANA-WALA chant*

I was busy pimping up my blog and I kinda like the results. It's no longer rough around the edges but I still have to make a few adjustments here and there to make it (almost) perfect (this, of course, is according to my preferences). I gained lots of dark, eeky rings under my eyes just to finish my layout. *Whew* But I think it's worth all the late night sessions of repair and renovation. (right? Please let me be right.)

Let me tell you something about myself: My name is Anna Monica Acu'enye'a-Pastoral. I'm a college freshman of the University of the Philippines taking up Doctor of Dental Medicine. In short, I'm going to be a dentist. But I will be transferring (or shifting, for that matter) to Industrial Pharmacy come next academic year. Hopefully my grades would allow me such feat. Anyway, if I were to transfer, that would be for the third time. *Argh! I was supposed to be a Nursing student (yes, I still think it was mere luck I got in the College of Nursing). Then my aunt, truth be told, sort of brainwashed me telling me Nursing is not a good premed and Dental Med is better. So I transferred just before enrolling. The big mistake we did was to not look at other options/courses! I could have gotten in almost anywhere! (Except for Intarmed! *ugh* How I wish Luck helped me harder! haha!)

Do I sound too airy? I think so, too. Let's just make things clear: I don't think I'm smart. Like what I've said, I think it was "mere Luck" (I love you, Luck-ee! hehe) that I got into Nursing. And since that college has one of the highest cut-offs, I think I really could have gotten in any course. So now I have to work my butt off just to get the grades needed for me to be able to transfer. So please don't think I'm mayabang. Ayoko ng kaaway. Gusto ko ng readers.
Why would I bother blogging when I have no one to share it with anyway? I could have just written on a diary instead, if that were the case.

So there. I like studying in UP. (Who wouldn't?) This not because of the liberality or the prestige. (Okay, so those are additional benefits.) I like it in UP because I get to learn things High School overlooked (or cared less whether taught or not). "The more I know, the more I don't know." So the "only thing I know, is that I don't know." Thirst for knowledge was never my disease during my four years of stay in the secondary level. But here in college, I have learned in the span of two months more than what they teach us for half a school year in high school. I realized there are more to learn, more to absorb and more to be amazed with. Now I sound like a geek! I just think it's fun to learn new things. Only then did I notice how much I don't know. For me, that is a good thing. It's a sign that I am still willing to venture out and experience more.

And not only that, I was also able (and thank God and self-discipline for this) to set my priorities straight and impose on myself principles I thought I'd never have the guts to accept. My motto is no longer "What I want, I get." I learned that there are other people in the world and I am not the person living amongst other people but a person the same as the other people.

I guess college life really works for me. I don't really know why, but I am sort of hiyang to college life, in general. I think I found what was sorely missing.

Masaya ang buhay ko ngayon. Sana tumagal naman ito.